What is Body Sugaring?
Body Sugaring is an ancient art of hair removal using a completely natural paste made from lemon, sugar and water. It looks like honey, but is even thicker. The paste is molded onto your skin against the direction of the hair growth, then quickly flicked off – removing the sugar paste, extracting your unwanted hair and collecting dead skin cells. This ancient hand technique that allows for the hair to be extracted in the direction of its growth means less breakage and discomfort for you! It’s more sanitary and reduces waste because there are no sticks or strips. After your service the paste and gloves are discarded and you are left with beautifully smooth skin.
Ensure you cleanse the body parts to be sugared thoroughly before your appointment.
Please avoid applying any lotion, cream, perfume, or deodorants on the skin to be sugared the day of service. This ensures successful extraction of hair without any difficulties.
Please do not exfoliate the day before, or the day of your sugaring service.
It is highly recommended that you do not sunbathe or use a tanning bed for 48 hours prior to or after any treatment.
For hygiene, comfort and time purposes it is necessary to trim long hair that has not been attended to for longer than 3 months. Sugaring can remove hair that is quite short. However, if this is your first time or if it has been more than three months since your last bikini treatment, trimming the hair to be sugared to no shorter than a grain of rice is advisable.
For men’s back and chest services, bring a clean white cotton shirt with you.
After your treatment
- After your treatment, your skin will feel smooth and moisturized. Your skin will be a bit more sensitive so it is recommended that you avoid fragranced soap, deodorants and lotions for 4 to 6 hours after treatment.
- In general, avoid use of oil based lotions and products as they tend to clog the pores and contribute to ingrown hairs.
- Initial chest and back treatments may require extra attention. Soak in epsom or dead sea salts 2-3 times a week, no longer than 15 minutes following treatment to these areas.
- A body brush or exfoliating gloves are recommended 2-3 times a week in the bath or shower. This will leave the skin smooth and polished and will minimize any chance of ingrown hairs. This is particularly important in the bikini and underarm areas.
- Skin Exfoliation promotes circulation which in turn helps you to achieve healthy and glowing skin and thus prevent ingrown hair. Exfoliating allows the sugaring treatment to be less problematic. An accumulation of dead or dry skin can prolong treatment.
- Ensure you use lotion after exfoliation as this properly hydrates the skin, resulting in smoother, ingrown hair-free skin.
- Temporary redness to skin may occur if your skin is sensitive. This reaction is normal, and usually disappears within an hour after treatment.
- Avoid direct heat such as hot tubs, or sun-tanning immediately following a treatment.
- Do not exercises immediately after treatment as excessive perspiration may irritate the skin.